This blog is where I escape from reality & is the result of the listening part of me. Oh btw, I dont talk much in real life.

History

leave your thoughts here -

Monday, 4 January 2016

My top Taylor Swift songs part 1

For those of you are unaware of my obsession with Taylor Swift, now you know. Do note that this list is actually not exhaustive, as I couldn't possibly distinguish which songs are my top songs as I listen to each one of her songs, without pressing skip every time I put her on shuffle. But here you go, some of my favourite Taylor Swift songs, my favourite verse of the songs, how I felt about each of them & why they mean a lot to me. This list is made based on her first 3 albums, namely her self-titled album, Fearless & Speak Now. I'll be doing the rest of her albums soon. Oh, the order of the songs doesn't really mean anything. In the process, I just simply put the whole album on shuffle & whichever I felt like putting here, I put.



Mary's Song (Oh My, My, My), Taylor Swift


I'll be eighty-seven, you'll be eighty-nine,
I'll still look at you like the stars that shine,
In the sky,
Oh my, my, my, my.

This was one of the first Disney-ish songs Taylor had written. At 17 years of age, it's very impressive how she had managed to write a beautiful song that narrates a perfect love story anyone would have dreamed of. ((Or maybe younger because the first album was released when she was 17, who knows exactly when she wrote all of the songs)) This song, to me, is the perfect song to be played on any wedding day, because of its impeccability & infinite emotions that are disclosed within a song. The happily-ever-after ending & how true love never really dies, are what makes this song stood out to me.

Teardrops on My Guitar, Taylor Swift

He says he's so in love,
He's finally got it right,
I wonder if he knows he's all I think about at night.

The story of an unrequited love, which I believe most of us had gone through at one point in our lives, is gracefully unfolded in this delicate country ballad. How painful it is to be in love with A who's clearly in love with B. Moreover when A keeps telling you stories about B without acknowledging how jealous you must have felt that you're not in B's shoes. Maybe A wasn't really aware about your feelings to them, but because you are too scared to be honest with A, that you had to go to sleep at night with teardrops running down your face. It's a typical story, but beautifully written in a way that connects to the listeners.

Tim McGraw, Taylor Swift


When you think happiness,
I hope you think that little black dress,
Think of my head on your chest,
In my old faded blue jeans,
When you think Tim McGraw,
I hope you think of me.

Releasing this song as her first ever single, is probably one of the best decisions she'd ever done. The first time I gave this song a listen, I wasn't that into Taylor Swift or country music yet so I just let her pass. Little did I know, she was going to breakthrough someday. This song is about reminiscing good times spent with someone with the help of their favourite song, which links so much to a person who has a song for every occasion like me. So when you think Taylor Swift, I hope you think of me.

Tied Together With A Smile, Taylor Swift

Seems the only one who doesn't see your beauty,
Is the face in the mirror looking back at you,
You walk around thinking you're not pretty,
But that's not true,
'Cause I know you.

The opening verse is what makes this song so special to me. Being someone who's always questioning my self-esteem & who's constantly doubting my capabilities, this song speaks to me motivation like nobody ever could. A smile on the face is enough to keep everything together, but you break too once in a while. At one point when everything seems to hit you at the same time, the smile goes undone & there you go being miserable at its finest. Somewhere in the middle of the song, there's a subtle reminder that love is not free, & you have to pay for being in love. Usually, the price is your self-esteem. This song provides me this strange post-heartbreak strength that I can't really explain.

Fearless, Fearless

We're driving down the road,
I wonder if you know,
I'm trying so hard not to get caught up now,
But you're just so cool run your hands through your hair,
Absentmindedly making me want you.

I guess I could see why this album won The Grammy's for Album of The Year; the opening track had me instantly absorbed. This song embodied the silly little things you feel when you're completely invested in a person, how you would do anything for them, no matter how stupid you would look like because none of that would matter as long as you're in the best company you could ever ask for. Fearless, is never about being in a state of not having any worries or dreads. Fearless is having them & embracing the fact that you are not perfect. It's when you recognise you have fears that you would be able to take advantage of them, & fully utilise them as leverage to be a better person.

White Horse, Fearless

My mistake, I didn't know to be in love,
You had to fight to have the upper hand,
I had so many dreams about you & me,
Happy endings,
Now I know.

Life isn't all about fairytales & rainbows, as Taylor made us realise in this song. This isn't about being sulky, then a knight in shining armor comes all the way to win your heart. No. It's more than that. You have to get up on your own feet, instead of waiting around for someone to come into your life to screw you over. You have to know when to stop giving out chances. Once is maybe okay. If they keep messing up your life, once is already enough. This song means a lot to me, as I was a person who never really notice how toxic some people might be despite their sweet asses. I gained the courage to cut people off once I've realised how harmful they are to my mental health.

The Best Day, Fearless

There is a video I found from back when I was three,
You set up a paint set in the kitchen,
And you're talking to me,
It's the age of princesses & pirate ships & the seven dwarves,
And daddy's smart,
And you're the prettiest lady in the whole wide world.

If I were to describe this song with only a word; it's heartfelt. There's something addictive about Taylor being authentic & so completely honest about something. It really showed how much devotion she has in her especially for her family. This song is everlasting, & will forever be relevant to me.

Hey Stephen, Fearless

The way you walk, the way you talk, the way you say my name,
It's beautiful, wonderful, don't you ever change
Hey Stephen why are people always leaving?
I think you & I should stay the same.

I was so crazy about this song a while back. It's adorable, cheeky & fun all in less than 4 minutes and a half. Taylor, in the earlier years of her career, is always about the high school fantasies of a naive girl. To listen to a song like this when you were in the exact same phase of your life, speaks volumes. I was also that teenage guy who dreams of having the perfect girl in school, trying so hard to get her attention. Even if she's way out of my league, I'll keep trying, for who would want to lose grip on a person who looks like an angel? Ah, behold the gullible little me who made a complete fool out of myself.

Fifteen, Fearless

When all you wanted was to be wanted,
Wish you could go back,
And tell yourself what you know now,
Back then I swore I was gonna marry him someday,
But I realised some bigger dreams of mine.

Fifteen is yet another lyrical genius Taylor had ever written. This song is the perfect example of a wide-eyed freshman who has no clue of what's in store for them in high school. All they would ever think of is to step into the gates, with some eyes glancing over at them, checking them out, to get the attention a naive freshman craves for. Then along the way, something bad happens & you come into the bitter realisation that life isn't all about dating the popular kid in school or finding the right one. It's about building dreams to achieve after you're done with school. Sure, you can always have fun in school for that's the only suitable place to have the most fun of your entire life. There's something calming about being ignorant in this phase of your life, knowing that there's a whole lot more that you're yet to figure out, while still having the most memorable time of your life nonetheless.

You Belong With Me, Fearless

And you've got a smile that could light up this whole town,
I haven't seen it in a while since she brought you down,
You say you're fine,
I know you're better than that,
Hey what you're doing with a girl like that.

I found the contrast between the music video & the actual song itself is very relieving. I mean, if you only listen to the song without watching the music video, you would've thought Taylor as the sappy, unpopular girl who only stands by the sidelines wishing for things that are seemingly impossible. However the twist at the end of the music video made the whole story more wonderful. I have always loved the notion that no matter how far away you deviate from a person, as long as you belong together, you will always end up together. Isn't it sweet & hopeful?

Breathe, Fearless

It's 2AM,
Feeling like I just lost a friend,
Hope you know this ain't easy, easy for me,
And we know it's never simple, never easy,
Never a clean break,
No one here to save me.

This song is so heartbreaking. It's like being left alone at home while the whole family went out for a whole week's vacation somewhere far & fun. I can't really picture how agonising it is to be losing someone who had been there for you all this time.

Ours, Speak Now


Seems like there's always someone who disapproves,
They'll judge it like they know about me & you,
And the verdict comes from those with nothing else to do,
The jury's out, but my choice is you.

There's something comforting about the giddiness of this song. Every time I listen to it, it somehow gives me some form of tangible hope that love - no matter how hard it gets or how high the stakes are - is worth it. This joyful song, with brilliant lyrics like don't you worry your pretty little mind/people throw rocks at things that shine provides me a kind of warmth that I can't really explain. This is the kind of song that I would listen to whenever I feel like I need some sort of assurance that everything's going to be okay in the end.

Long Live, Speak Now

We were the Kings and the Queens,
And they read off our names,
The night you danced like you knew our lives would never be the same,
You held your head like a hero on a history book page,
It was the end of a decade,
But the start of an age.

I can't stress quite enough how this song had helped me find the courage to believe in myself. The first time I listened to this song was also the time I got completely hooked to it. It made me realise that I don't necessarily need to be remembered by the whole world to make my life worth living. Just a few people who mean the world to me is more than enough. This song gives off some weird flipping-through-albums kind of vibes. It's about those moments when I look back on the past life to see how much I've progressed as a person. There's something soothing about Taylor using fairytale words like confetti, fighting dragons, kingdom lights, which makes this song timeless to me. The best part of this song is definitely the line - bring on all the pretenders, one day we will be remembered.

Never Grow Up, Speak Now

Take pictures in your mind of your childhood room,
Memorise what it sounded like when your dad gets home,
Remember the footsteps, remember the words said,
And all your little brother's favourite songs,
I just realised everything I have is someday gonna be gone.

This song managed to capture the dilemma of wanting so badly to grow up & do things you can't do at 14, or staying forever a kid at heart who doesn't know what it's like being hurt or scarred for life. The simple melody of the song somehow portrays how simple & carefree life was when you were younger. Every time I listen to this, in my mind, I would picture myself putting my future kids to sleep while singing this as their lullaby. I'd always hope that my children one day won't have to go through sleepless nights wondering if someone else is also awake thinking about them, or thinking about some mean bullies at school who had said mean things. I hope they could stay innocent & ignorant, but I guess that's an impossible thing to wish for.

Enchanted, Speak Now

The lingering question kept me up,
2AM who do you love?
I wonder 'til I'm wide awake,
Now I'm pacing back and forth,
Wishing you were at my door,
I'd open up and you would say:
"Hey it was enchanting to meet you,"
All I know is I was enchanted to meet you.

This is my ultimate crush song. All the exciting feelings you get when you first meet a stranger, getting to know them & eventually developing an interest on them are flawlessly depicted in this song. The fact that the exact person who Taylor wrote this song for actually replied to her added a hint of magic to it. Again, she had used magical words like this night is sparkling, I'm wonderstruck/dancing around all alone, which had further fuelled my feels on so many levels. This is my go-to song whenever I wanted to be reminded of the so-called honeymoon phase of any relationships, or to remind me why I engaged in love's battlefield in the first place.

Back To December, Speak Now

Maybe this is wishful thinking,
Probably mindless dreaming,
But if we loved again I swear I'd love you right.

This beautiful song starts with an opening verse that truly detailed how Taylor wanted to fix something that isn't broken anymore. It is quite remarkable that she managed to illustrate how bad she must have felt for letting down the person who truly cares for her, & the sounds of remorse echoed as the song progresses. It's really courageous of her to be sincerely vulnerable in a song that genuinely paints how sorry she is for disappointing someone special. By the time she realised everything, it's already too late & it will forever be etched in her heart that she let down a person who truly loved her for who she is. How she longed for a second chance that she will never get, & how she has to live forever knowing that she was the bad guy in that particular situation. This song relates to me so much, as I once almost gave up on a person I truly cared & didn't watch out for my words which in the end had shattered everything. I'm truly sorry, but no amount of sorry's can erase the mistake. Things are never going to be the same, & I will forever live knowing I'd disappointed a person I really loved with all my heart. I'd go back to December, turn around & make it alright. I'd go back to December all the time.

Mine, Speak Now

Braced myself for the "goodbye",
'Cause that's all I've ever known,
Then you took me by surprise,
You said "I'll never leave you alone."

Who the hell pens down profound lyrics like I was a flight risk with a fear of falling, you made a rebel of a careless man's careful daughter? Yes, it's Taylor Swift. If this song were to come alive & be a person, it would be the song I'd undoubtedly marry. This song is too perfect to be true, that I had only thought of it as the song that could never go wrong. Sure, there will be fights & misunderstandings in a relationship, but as long as both of us are willing to make it work, it will work out in the end. After all, you are the best thing that's ever been mine.

Last Kiss, Speak Now

And something reminds you,
You wish you had stayed,
You can plan for a change in weather & time,
But I never planned on you changing your mind.

Last Kiss is the epitome of loneliness. It's the post-break up phase when you keep recalling the good times spent together, when you would remember even the tiniest detail just because they mean a lot to you. How when you miss them, but you don't have anything else to hold on to that you had to wear the clothes that they left behind, but still nevertheless aching because they still smell like that particular person. How you can now only watch their life through pictures, or keeping up with your old friends to know how they're doing. How you're torn between holding on to the person who made you happy but lonely at the same time, or to forget about them & move on like what they're doing. How they're doing perfectly fine & it left you wondering, was the love you had real? This song never fails to break me inside. One needs to experience a tragic separation in order to understand & relate to this song. There's a point in the song when her voice broke a little & she took a deep breath, & that's the death of me.
Black Moustache