This blog is where I escape from reality & is the result of the listening part of me. Oh btw, I dont talk much in real life.

History

leave your thoughts here -

Saturday, 17 December 2016

[Updated 19/12/2016]

Let's talk about something interesting today - The 1975.

It all started when I was scrolling through Facebook when I came across a rather interesting article by Billboard namely The Shortest and Longest No. 1 Album Title Ever. Both my favourites are there which are Ed Sheeran's x and Maroon 5's V. Then I went to check out the longest album title that is I Like It When You Sleep, For You Are So Beautiful Yet So Unaware of It (71 characters including spaces). Absurd was the first word that came to my mind. I mean, who names their album that? It sounded like some emo kid's tweet or something. I went on to read related articles on the album and the band that is, surprise surprise, The 1975.

I immediately knew I had to give a listen to the album when I read how they got around to naming themselves The 1975. There's something about the forgotten writing on an old book Matty found that got me. I was in the middle of doing some statistics questions and God knows how much I needed a break. That was what I did. I looked them up on Spotify and listened to their album - without doing anything else.

Honestly, the first few tracks did not leave any impression on me but the little voice in my head insisted on listening to the rest of the album. When it got to A Change of Heart, it became an instant jam. I mean, they really did that. Then came She's American, and the rest was history. It wasn't until I heard the line "don't fall in love with the moment and think you're in love with the girl" that I knew this album would be the only thing I would be listening to for the next few weeks or so.

Somebody Else came and I was shook. I was at that point in my life when I was still trying to figure some stuff out. There were some questions in my head that I had no answers to. Should I stay or should I go? Is this person still mad at me? What could I have done differently? When I heard the bridge of the song, I knew right away the answers to those questions; don't figure out people who don't deserve to be figured out.

I got very emotional towards the end of the album because that was when I realised how broken I was at the time. I was lucky that I had a strong support system that I did not resort into doing anything rash to myself. It was one of those times I was having severe bouts of depression and anxiety. With A levels, and the people I was constantly trying to win their attention, I was not doing any better.

Come to think about it, I think discovering The 1975 amidst my depression was the best thing that happened to my life in 2016. Their music kept me sane. Their music videos are aesthetics, man. I moved on from those things that affected me at the beginning of the year & I owe my contentment right now to Matty, Adam, George and Ross.

I met new, interesting people that I know are bound to be around for a very long time. It was not easy letting go of the past, but I knew it was the thing weighing me down, over and over. I can't keep reaching out to things that are gone. They exist, but only as memories. Not tangible enough for me to keep hanging on to.

My life changed a lot once I realised those things. I kept my circle of friends close. I got rid of Twitter, the single thing causing me unnecessary stress. I avoided toxic people. Basically I detoxed my whole life. My mental health is more stable currently. I wouldn't say it's at its best state but it's definitely better than it was a few months back. I broke the negative cycle that I was in because I couldn't handle it anymore. I feel like I wouldn't even be here if I let myself stuck in that cycle.

If you were to ask me, what my biggest accomplishment of the year is? It's seeing my favourite band live twice in different parts of the globe. There's nothing I would trade for that. I may have shed a few tears both times, and they were worth it.
Black Moustache